MBA ProgrammesAction Learning: learn to act, act to learn
Online Action Learning MBA (Virtual MBA)
Online, Project-based, Quadruple Accredited European MBA
The Online MBA teaches you a different way of management thinking and problem-solving through Action Learning. Unlike a traditional MBA, all your Action Learning MBA assignments are based on real problems and opportunities in your organisation.
The BSN MBA is a challenging programme that will make you re-think how you approach problems in your organisation. Do you solve symptoms, or are you finding out what the real causes are? Can you reduce the complexity of the problem into a single statement? Do you really know how to ask analytical questions and approach the problem from every angle? The Online Action Learning MBA teaches you all these skills and helps you understand where you need to improve in your decision making and leadership strategies.
Online MBA Structure
This Online Action Learning MBA is the 100% online version of our International Action Learning MBA
- 24 months, with a maximum time of 36 months
- Real online sessions instead of videos watched in isolation
- We provide you with full international support and feedback on all your assignments and projects
Accreditation and Awards
Business School Netherlands and the Online Action Learning MBA are accredited by 4 prestigious international accreditation bodies:
Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP – United States of America)
Association for Transnational Higher Education Accreditation (ATHEA – Europe)
eduQua (Switzerland – Europe)
Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatie Organisatie (NVAO) – Dutch Flemish Accreditation Organisation for programmes in the Netherlands and Belgium
The Online Action Learning MBA offers 3 optional majors in Food Security, Water Management or Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights. These majors are available to students who currently work in roles related to these fields. Students who do not take a major will take part in the general track of the Online Action Learning MBA.
The Action Learning nature of this degree also means that students who do not specialise in these majors will still do projects and research in their own company and sector. This deepens your knowledge of both the organisation you work for and the industry or sector you work in.
Join a Global Alumni Network
Business School Netherlands has been educating managers and professionals since 1988 and has built up an alumni network of over 15 000 students from many countries. Our alumni can be found in major international corporations, governments, non-profit organizations, and small family businesses. Action Learning allows our students to make real connections and share solutions with each other during, and even long after their studies have finished.
DID YOU KNOW?: These are the industries/sectors that benefit the most salary-wise with an MBA
- Consulting – pre-MBA = $86,187 / post-MBA = $132,601 (a 53.85% increase)
- Food, Beverage, & Tobacco – pre-MBA = $63,069 / post-MBA = $104,319 (a 65.4% increase)
- Private Equity – pre-MBA = $98,393 / post-MBA = $136,132 (a 38.35% increase)
- Investment Management – pre-MBA = $82,531 / post-MBA = $121,376 (a 47.07% increase)
- Technology, Internet, & Ecommerce – pre-MBA = $85,134 / post-MBA = $121,897 (a 43.18% increase)
- Education – pre-MBA = $59,681 / post-MBA = $74,507 (a 24.84% increase)
- Accounting & Audit – pre-MBA = $67,952 / post-MBA = 88,946 (a 30.89% increase)
- Law – pre-MBA – $97,229 / post-MBA = $105,366 (a 8.37% increase)
- Restaurants, Hotels, Hospitality, & Tourism – pre-MBA = $68,521 / post-MBA = $83,502 (a 21.86% increase)
- Government, Politics, & Military – pre-MBA = $77,645 / post-MBA = $90,631 (a 16.72% increase)
Features of the Online Action Learning MBA (CROHO-register 70053) at BSN
- Online interactive sessions
- 24 months
- 3 phases
- 5 real projects, implemented in your own organization
- Taught in English
- Action Learning Method
- 100% online with a flexible timetable
- No conventional theory examinations
Accreditation and Industry Recognition
- Accredited by ACBSP , ATHEA and the NVAO
- Voted a Tier One MBA in the CEO Magazine Global MBA Rankings
Why Choose BSN?
- One of the most recognised business schools in The Netherlands
- Active for more than 30 years in developing and offering MBA degrees
- Programmes that actually change your management thinking and leadership style
- Join a global network of professional alumni
- Learn from experienced coaches and tutors from various industries and backgrounds
- holds a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) or higher,
- is a manager, management trainee, supervisor, business owner, or team leader
- has a minimum of 2 years professional work experience,
- has approval from his/her organisation to do research and practical projects in their work environment,
- has internet and e-mail access and
- should the applicant’s mother tongue not be English he/she will require a TOEFL or IELTS language test. The minimum pass mark for TOEFL is 550 (paper); 213 (computer) or 79/80 (internet-based) and IELTS 6. Applicants who have completed their Bachelor’s degrees in English are not required to provide to a TOELF or IELTS test result.
- In addition to point a: Mature and experienced applicants who do not hold a Bachelors degree, may also be considered. The guideline here is a minimum of 7 years of demonstrable, appropriate and relevant postgraduate work experience.
- In addition to point b: Applicants who are not in a formal management position but to whose professional development the learning programme will significantly contribute, may also be considered. This would apply to professionals who operate at the post-graduate level but are not necessarily (continuously) involved in the management of people or a department. For instance; policy officers, accountants, consultants, etc.
- Based on a thorough verification of submitted documents in respect to the above and, if deemed necessary, a personal interview, BSN will determine the applicant’s suitability to participate in an Action Learning MBA programme.
Interactive Online Zoom meetings
Online Classes. In the first and second phases of this programme you will have a weekly interactive online Zoom meeting. In these meetings, you will meet your module instructor and peer group (12-16 students). The module instructors are subject experts and experienced managers and entrepreneurs. The online classes consist of different working methods; presentations, discussions, small assignments, work in break-out rooms, questions, and answers. Students in your group are all experienced managers with different backgrounds and nationalities, providing you with interesting points of view and a high quality network.
Subset meetings. During the programme you will have 12 subset meetings. A subset is a group of 6-8 students which will be guided by an Action Learning Coach. The coach and the group will help you with your Action Learning Projects.
Themed online workshops. BSN organises 4 themed online workshops per year, 8 in two years. These online webinars cover new trends such as blockchain, design thinking, digital transition of your organisation, but also leading with impact. This is an opportunity to meet students from other groups
Action Learning – Project-Based
As an Online Action Learning MBA student, you will focus 100% on topics relevant to you and your organisation. Through research and discussion, you will discover methods to resolve issues and implement new plans; applying change through action.
You will complete 4 in-house assignments; Action Learning Projects (ALPs) focused on departmental level issues. The MBA dissertation will tackle a strategic organisational issue where various research methodologies will need to be used in order to develop appropriate and effective solutions.
No Conventional Examinations
BSN believes in assessing real competencies and developing the skills a true leader must acquire, therefore BSN does not focus on conventional examinations, but rather on real projects completed in your work environment.
Business School Netherlands will evaluate your diagnosis of the problem, your plan of action, your field research, your evaluation of the situation, and how you implement the plan to resolve the issue. Ultimately, we will also evaluate your reflection of the situation, what you learned through the process, and what you would do differently next time. This method allows us to develop you as a business leader and allows you to strengthen your managerial and business skills.
Student interaction is continuously encouraged with the support of our specialised coaches. Renowned module instructors and our in-house staff play a vital role in the virtual class environment.
As a BSN student, you will have access to our massive database of online business journals, periodicals and management reviews to aid you in your studies and research projects.
|MBA Phase||Phase I||Phase II||Phase III|
|Duration||3 Months||15 Months||6 Months|
|Type of Assignment||Organisational Analysis and Action Learning Literature Review||Following 7 core courses. Each core course will be tested with a theory test, a written assignment/Q&A.||You will work on your concluding dissertation and you are asked to complete an Evaluation of Managerial Learning (EAML) report.|
Skill Phase 1 (3 months)
Here we lay the theoretical foundation upon which your future study will be based; this creates a common conceptual framework for the whole set whilst you follow the Online Action Learning MBA.
The courses in this phase are:
- Action Learning Fundamentals
- Research Methodology
You will write an Organisational Analysis of your company as well as an Action Learning Literature Review. This is based upon your current leadership skills and competencies, and you will be encouraged throughout the programme to consider areas for development.
Practice Phase 2 (15 months):
The second phase covers the following 7 core courses:
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing Management
- Operations Management
- Financial Management
- Information Management
- Strategic Management
- International Management
Each core course consists of 4 online interactive classes of 4 hours. The second phase also consists of the following modules:
- Personal skills training
- Research Methodology
- Themed workshops (6-8)
- Optional conference week(s) in the Netherlands
Each core course will be tested with a theory test, a written assignment/Q&A. Example questions you need to answer are:
- Does my Organisation make effective use of Social Media?
- Is our strategy approach modern or outdated?
- Is my organisation ready for digital transition, or not?
In this phase you will be acquired to execute 4 Action Learning Projects (ALPs), including 1 Group International Management ALP. To help you with your ALPs and to learn from the other students we organise 12 online subset meetings. Each subset consists of 6-8 students and will be facilitated by an Action Learning Coach.
Graduation Phase 3 (6 months):
In the last phase you will work on your concluding dissertation and you are asked to complete an Evaluation of Managerial Learning (EAML) report. In this phase you will receive individual Dissertation Support.
When enrolling, you are able to apply for a Major. Additional costs will be charged for this. In order to qualify for the Major endorsement on the MBA degree, the following conditions apply:
- Passed the assignment ‘Personal Effectiveness Paper’ related to the respective Masterclass;
- Incorporated the Major subject as the leading theme of ALP 1, 2, 3 as well as the Dissertation;
If applicable, is active in the respective field of business.
24 months with possible extension to 36 months if required
100% Distance Learning or Optional conferences at the Buren campus
Start dates 2022
- 21 September 2022
- 23 November 2022
We allow a maximum of 16 students per group
Full Course Fee
EUR 12,000 (For Eastern European applicants)
Total Course Fee for BSN Scholarship Eligible Countries (Africa, Caribbean, and all former OKP scholarship countries)
*Conditions for the BSN Partial Scholarship apply. Scholarships can be up to a maximum of 55% off the total tuition
Fees include: Textbooks, group coaching, online classes, assignments, and assessments
Please click here for more information on the BSN Partial Scholarships
Word of advice from Laurie: ‘The programme is demanding, daunting and incredibly challenging… but you can do it!’.